Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween!

Happy Halloween! It's one of my favorite holidays (gee? I wonder why?) . You know I could not resist dressing up even if it's just to my classes. I was an ostrich this year, and hopefuly I'll improve the costume by next year. It's a ballet interpretation of the Ostrich, inspired by one of my favorite films, Fantasia. Great music and animation? The original music video. It's a great piece of film that certainly gets my spark going.




I pinned the boa to the long sleeved tee. I got the idea from a number from Swan Lake I saw performed on the Arts Showcase. I'm addicted to the channel currently as it's one of the few good channels I get here at college. The other is Discovery and the CW on weeknights.

Speaking of the CW, am I the only one annoyed by the whole "aerie by American Eagle" discussion thingy they do on Gilmore Girls? I mean, the girls make pretty obvious observations about the show and then they all act like the statements are so deep and insightful? I guess that's why I don't have many good friends my age... Ugh, I also hate that "My Life as a Covergirl" thing they put on during America's Next Top model. When they first started it, I was interested in it. I thought it would actually show their life. Imagine my disappointment that it was just a commercial, and a bad one at that, for Covergirl. Perhaps it's not so bad as it does make sure to get their name out there, but its annoyingly followed by another commercial for Covergirl.

But all that is beside the point. Hmm... What was it again? Oh yes! The Arts showcase and Swan Lake. Well, the ballerinas in it had some white furry things that resembled a thin, furry kind of boa attached to their arms. Much more graceful than the way I did it; it draped on them. But, the ostrich is a bit sturdier than a swan, no? Also, they wore white feather headbands. I'm thinking I should havebought the black and white feather headband I saw at the e-bay shop where I got my fascinator. The thing I have is hard to keep on my head. It would stay better if I put my hair up, probably. But, I do have to say I got it for cheap and the seller included two extra hairclips/pins. And it's holding up nicely, especially considering my abuse of it.

Check out the shop, Taissa Lada Designs . Some gorgeous pieces in there, though they're not for the meek. She has some headbands just like the ones I saw in the Swan Lake ballet number and some very Seussian creations. Perfect for any costume parties and Halloween for next year! In addition, many of her auctions start dirt cheap at $.99! That's right! I saw feather pins at a store around here, not half the size or awesomeness of the designs in this shop, selling for like $35! I got my stuff for around $7 I think, due to someone bidding against me and driving the price up right before they would have overtaken my cheap self too. So for those of you who covet such things as these, go forth and bid! Don't let the call to Drag Queens throw you off. No one will mistake you for a drag queen just because you're wearing something from that e-bay shop. (I'm so going to go on a spree there when I actually have a job and thus money! Of course, there's all those other things I covet...)

My Costume:

fascinator and feather pin- ebay

Corset top- Forever 21 (I wouldn't recommend it if you have hips like me, as it rides up to my much smaller waist and ruins the shape of the boneing.)

Blac cami w/ lace trim- ??? Some little shop

Long sleeve tee & feather boa- Target (don't dig the fit in the shoulders) I'm pleasantly surprised by the boa though, as it came in some plactic baggy packaging and looked really squished, but it came out nice and full.

Tutu and bloomers- Thrift Queen

Fishnet Thigh Highs- Hot Topic

Shoes- Ebay

bag- Tara Jarmon for Target

The other graphic was done completely by me in Paint Shop Pro X.

I luff Feathers,

Ivy Frozen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where do you go to college?

keep it up, your blog is great, and so much more consistant than most blogs. which is how it really should be.

nice work

Ivy Frozen said...

Oh thanks! I'm glad you like it!
The college I'm attending is currently semi-classified information, but it's a Northern California state university. (Find the staues from the picture and find my campus.) If ya can guess it though (& not by going through all of them!), I'll give it to ya.

Anonymous said...

haha thats cool. I dont know why i thought you WOULD give out or location on the world-wide-web...