Thursday, October 19, 2006

Little Lady


Yeah, I look twelve again. It was freezing in the morning (this is from Tuesday), hence the scarf. My mom bought it for me, hence it's from Walmart, hence it's falling apart.

My mom has this love of Walmart. It's her mecca. I, on the other hand, despise it. It's so dingy and kind of depressing in there. Plus, the people who work there never know anything about the store. A lot of Mexican immigrants (legal and illegal) work at the one near my home back in the Bay Area. The one near my school is filled with White Trash. Not that I have a problem with these people; I like anyone who's nice to me. Really. I have childlike standards of like.
Of course, in the third nearest Walmart to my home in the bay, this one worker there started stroking my hair without asking if she could, and then proceeded to compliment me on it, while stroking my hair, and I'm just being polite to her as she's not hurting me while I'm really thinking "Back the hell off, woman!" She's wasn't as bad as the woman at Victoria's Secret at the mall on 5th and Mission, I think, with the Bart right in it. That lady was right there, like an inch in front of me, trying to talk me into buying stuff from the store and I'm backing away, and she keeps following. Personal space, woman. Do I need to quote the American Bubble thory/rule to you? But, I digress.

Walmart is a horrid store, but I do stop in there occasionally for they're good, sweat-shop labor prices. They also have a few really cute pieces, and you can always find your cheapie basics there, like socks. (Their bras suck! Very uncomfortable!) I did het a cute cami from there a few years ago and it's still going strong. The straps on it can be uncomfortable when I'm setting at times though. Kind of digs into my back. It's improved with wear though.

As for sweatshop labor, yes I know they use it. No, I don't approve, but the money these poor people get from this labor is often very needed. Sweatshop labor is a very tricky thing; to support it or not to support it. If we support it, it continues. If we don't, it may end, but then the people will be left without this obviously desperately needed money. What to do? Fair wages would be great, but then will companies continue to use these people? Does fair wages equal what they would have to pay in America or something that would still be cheaper in American dollars? A very tough issue to decide. So I do buy sweatshop labor stuff, not entirely knowingly but I don't know it is not made by sweatshops, and hope for the day when the people will be paid a fair wage at their job, whatever that may be. I haven't quite decided yet as my mind can't quite define what a fair wage would be outside of mimimum wage in America. Kind of equivalent, the exchange rate, uh! Can't explain as I don't quite grasp what my mind is trying to say myself.

swing jacket/coat- Lola (close-up)
dress and belt- Forever 21
boots-JC Penny
Footless tights- Wet Seal (I chased them down before they became trend.)
Scarf-Walmart
Freshwater Pearl Necklace- Hawaii
For the poor peeps,
Ivy Frozen

No comments: