Friday, October 27, 2006

I luv the 90s!

I'm not quite sure what 90s trend I'm supporting here, grunge or miniskirts? It's enough to make Cher Horowitz's head spin! But, speaking of random like, I love Tori Amos even more than the 90s.

It all started with the radio. I heard her single, A Sorta Fairytale, and liked it. So, when I saw the CD at my library, I decided to check it out. It was free anyways. Love! Then I saw her perform live on the Wayne Brady Show (who I also love! He's so talented. Funny and he can sing and make up songs on the spot!) and became a true fan. She is amazing live! She's the only artist that I may like better live. Most artists sound better in their recordings, often with their live voice being hard to recognize as the one on the album. But Tori has an amazing stage voice and presense and her voice is the same beautiful one on the record, often put through even more beautiful sounds in the live versions of the song.

Now, many put criticize her as being a little random, but really, I could listen to her babble on about nothing all day. Her voice is just so powerful and beautiful. But, if she wasn't wonderful enough as is, her songs are packed with meaningful lyrics and images. Tori's got a song for everything. And they don't all sound alike. She has so many different sounds and none of her songs really blend into each other, like other artists.

So why am I posting about her here? I waqs watching her on youtube yesterday (which certainly did not influence today's outfit...), so I give you two youtube videos of Tori that do in fact relate to the subject matter of this blog, unclear as the subject matter is. It's a live version of the song Crucify and also the video for it.

The music video for the song has some interesting images. At one point she holds up a pair a heels. Is that a form of crucifying ourselves? She also sports kind of an old style collar at one point. Is she saying fashion is a form of crucifying ourselves? Interesting to think about. Also, she hops in a tub with an expensive looking dress on and looks so much happier when she comes out all wet! Also, the little dancing/marching/cheerleading Toris at the end look so much happier since they ditched the heels.

In the live version, I love her outfit. It's so flowy and looks magnificent on her, as she sits at the piano. It drapes so nicely! Also, it fits with the song as she plays it. (Also, pay attention at the end for an awesome addition to song for this live version. Just the emotion as she references her rape. Powerful woman. I could never do something like that onstage, for hundreds possibly thousands of people to see.)







Today's Outfit: plaid shirt- Charlotte Russe, Long sleeve tee and boots- JC Penny,Miniskirt- Forever 21 (1st thing I ever bought from there.),Tights and Scarf- Walmart



Luv Tori,

Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

Adrian said...

the 90's were great. Friends (when it was still good), Nirvana, minimalism...good times!

Ivy Frozen said...

Nirvana! I have a deep connection to "Smells like Teen Spirit." (I also giggle everytime I hear "Rape Me...") I wasn't too into Friends though, more into the family sitcoms. Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel-air, Step by Step... Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to comment!