Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Issues

Schoolgirl



So, I promised to weigh in on the issues.

Issue #1: Fashion and Weight

First, I direct you to our Lord and Master Foamy.

In the world, I believe skinny people are taking a lot of undeserved hate. Cries of "they're unhealthy!", "Anarexic," etc. are bandied about them like they have no feelings. Yet, apparently it's okay to be just as, if not more, unhealthily over weight. Anyone who comments on over-weight people are treated like they wore Nazi symbols.

In regards to walking the catwalk, I believe the catwalks should feature healthy models of various weights and body types. This applies only, however, if the models are also role models. Otherwise, who am I to dictate what can or cannot be on the catwalk. If this really was so horribly distasteful, I don't have to watch. If others did the same, designers who wanted to sell clothes more than they wanted to have skinny modals for them would appease the masses.

I would be very impressed by a designer who did manage this ideal, representing the average, tall, short, thinner and more curvaceous. It would take a lot of talent. I might be as dedicated to said designer as I am to Tori Amos.

Issue #2: Using Nazi Symbols

Don't design your clothes to resemble Ku Klux Klan robes or otherwise reference that group. Don't design t-shirts that attack some race or religious group of people. And don't design your clothes with Nazi symbols. Native Americans, who used the swastika as more of a peace sign, agreed to stop using the symbol in their basket weaving. Now this stuff is old craft that predates Hitler, has nothing to do with Hitler, and everything to do with them. Yet, they could stop using it. Why? Because no matter what you see it as, much of the world sees it as a reminder of the cruelty we're all capable of. So don't use it! Be a creative designer and find a better way to convey what you mean/want.

In short, brush the Nike-wearing devil off your shoulder and Don't Do It!

Issue (or non-issue) #3: Dove's Add Campaign

I'm sure you've all seen Dove's Dove does it for the money. Okay. Dove's image is pure, unfussy, natural. Kind of like what it's latest add campaign is supporting. That's not to say that the adds are bad; I like the message. But they do it for the money. They are not some great, savior brand. Just wanna make sure we all know that while we coo over the add.

I actually think the woman looks better before they alter her at all. She looks a little scary to me at the end. Of course, I also think the girls of the Pussycat Dolls look scary on this cover, especially the lead singer. Her thighs are bigger than her waist. It's like she was pieced together.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of airbrushing. It's horribly misleading, and negative for both the person airbrushed and the people taking this as an actual image of the person. It must be disappointing to see someone so airbrushed in real life, and kind of "I can't be beautiful unless I'm airbrushed" for the person being airbrushed. You know?

Fashtastic.net has a great article on airbrushing.

And now,

My hands are clean

My hands are clean and I'm done being the Know-it-All for today. Join me next time, like maybe tommorrow, to see

First Outfit from Thursday:
swing jacket- Lola
check tent pinafore dress- made by me
green shirt dress (under. You can see the colar and sleeves)- Punky Style
green tights- T.J. Maxx
Cowboy Boots- Charlotte Russe


Second Outfit from Friday:
swing jacket - Lola
dress- ARC Thrift Store
white skirt (under and making my hips wider as it has pockets)- mom from 70s
boots- Fashion Bug
Belt- JC Penny
fuzzy scarf- knit by my friend for me
lacy scarf worn as headband- Kohls

Curds and Weighed,

Ivy Frozen

1 comment:

S. said...

Well said on all counts!