Thursday, November 23, 2006

Yeah Yeah Yeah


You've got questions? Today, I've got answers. Okay, so no one actually asked me specifically any questions, but I've seen a lot of questions asked elsewear that just make me go aye-yi-yi! So, today, I give you the answers.

Q. Should I buy this trend item, with the the risk that it will soon be out of fashion?

A. If the only reason you're considering buying said item is because it's a trend, then no. If you actually like said item, even if it were not a trend, then go for it. If you really like it, screw the trend whores and keep wearing them even when bubblegum girl with her Loreal locks perfectly on trend informs you how "totally out" they are, and even when fashionista iforms you they were so over [insert period of time] ago. If you really are that self concious but truly like them, when they go out, put it away and pull it out when it's back in style. Pretty much everything comes back in style one way or another, some person resurrects it and looks cool doing it.

Q. Does this go with this?

A. Well, that depends on what look you're going for. A single piece can be paired with other items that can give it so many diffrent "feels," shall I say, from kind of rocker tough to coming across sweeter. Of course, certain pieces speak louder than others. In terms of matching, matching is always good. And contrary to my sister's and color-matching obsessive people, I do in fact match. I just don't limit my matching to colors.

So now we get into the world of Matching!

Matching does not simply equal the same color or color schemes. I find it somewhat boring to limit myself to that. Come on! That's kindergarten level matching, though if you like it, rock on. I certainly do use that matching. It is the founding point of matching. But I also like to be more adventurous in my matching, which may include throwing in a contrasting color. It's still matching because said contrast color is thrown in there specifically for another color or colors in their and goes with them by contrasting and staying out. Typically, said color is bold and this technique is utalized by using mostly black and then the color or a pattern.

For example, I site the outfit included for today's post. My matching is more clear on the right where I stuck with bold, darker, richer colors. Blues on the top on nuetrals on the bottom. The belt is a earthtone bronve with a horse and horseshoe on it that matches thematically with the cowboy boots. On the left, the vest matches the striped scarf, as does pretty much everything else, and the blue scarf ties in to the blues. That's right! It matches! Cuz I said so. Plus, I was tired that day...

Q. Does the fashion rule go like this or this?/Can I wear this although it violates the fashion rules?

A. Fashion Rules? I don't recall anything like that being set in stone. The so-called fashion rules are more like guidelines and made to be bended, stretched, and broken. I repeat, where is the fun if they are not? Try it! If you like it, wear it! Do remember practicality and decorum though too.

Q. Last, a question of my own. What's up with Audrey Hepburn? I can see her as a style icon, but as an actress, she doesn't do much for me. None of her films (that I've seen) would make my favorites list. Breakfast at Tiffany's is memorable for the fashion (you know I love contrasts, perfectly exemplified by the openign with the Givenchy gown and a bagel, was it, while she hangs OUTSIDE the shop and stares at the wares within.) but I really don't get the movie. What exactly is it about? Audrey's character is crazy? Yeah, not exactly on my favorites, even with the clothes. (Of course, I think Mulin Rouge is a freaky movie. The way they filmed it gives it a horror-circus feel to me, with the music, coughing up blood, really fast and really slow scenes, lighting. ::shivers::)

Outfit from Friday, Oct. 17th: vest- mom from 70s, blue scarf and belt- some Chinese shop, striped scarf- Old Navy, cropped hoody- JC Penny, pants- Marshalls, socks- Wet Seal, boots- Charlotte Russe, shirt- Disney land from when I was a little girl. (Princess Jasmine and Raja. I want a pet tiger too...)

Needing a Joker suit,
Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Hi sweetie,surprise entry from the re-mixers! I too feel the need to log on the web.I'min such a hurry this morn,later I'll be back to read all your posts!

Ivy Frozen said...

Oh hey! Thanks!