Thursday, November 16, 2006

On Corsets


Corsets. Old style, need a maid to tighten your waist to a hand spread (A hand spread! That's like half my waist taking the gentlest meaning of that.) corsets.

Kind of creepy. We envy those women their tiny waists but it's really kind of freakish looking. See, they look really cool in the clothes but they really ARE shaped like that. And their organs are shifted around.

It brings all sorts of questions to mind. How exactly did these women have children? What did they eat on Thanksgiving, because we know they couldn't stuff themselves with turkey? How was this sexy again when a guy could grab you about the waist with one hand?

And the descriptions of what the corsets do kind of made me a feel a little sick. The S bend corset forces the hips back and shoves the bust forward creating the S shape.

But then the article also points out that this was the way women sculpted their bodies the way women now-a-days do at the gym. Exercise wasn't big back then; dieting and shaping garments were. When you think of it that way, it's not quite so ludicrous... Also, I suppose it goes back to the helpless is sexy, man feels needed kind of thing that Marilyn Monroe was big on. She'd have the heels on her shoes uneven to increase the wiggle in her walk and make her appear more vulnerable or something. While I do love Marilyn style dresses and sweaters, her voice creeps me out. It's like Michael Jackson's, kind of creepy-childish. Not a bad likeness, as Marilyn committed suicide and Michael Jackson, well, might as well have done it literally.

And But back to corsets, I'll let you in on a little not-so secret: I have a thing for corsets. Now, I probably would not dig anything that required a second person to pull it insanely tight that it shifted my organs around and cmpressed my ribcage from a fudge-sickle shape to a jelly bean shape. But I do dig a corset that clings and contours to my body. I'm about comfort, but I do like things that cling and move with my body. Of course, the fabric should be soft too and no scratchy (no skinny jeans!). Just ask my mom; I am the pickiest about fabrics. I like soft, touchable fabrics. (Velvet, soft faux fur = love!)

I like this outfit. It makes me look thinner. My sis thought I lost weight. (I'm a bit wasp wasted in the pic on the far right... Not that thin equals beautiful. In fact, pretty much every female close to me has more weight than I. (I like some meat on my women ;) Of course, that then puts pressure on me to remain thin. It's kind of become part of my place, being the thin one. I really think I might flip out if I gained a bunch of weight. That seems unlikely though. I've pretty much maintained this same weight all through high school and I seem to get my weight genes from my father's side of the family. (About half his siblings are tall and thin including my dad, the other have is short and chubby cute.) Too bad I didn't get the height along with the thin gene. Honestly, I do think I look scrawny sometimes though and need to gain some more weight, especially on days when I look about twelve. Yuck! I'm pear shaped so all my weight goes to my hips, ass, and upper thighs. A bit goes to my tummy too, but mostly those easily disguised by an A-line skirt areas.

No before I talk myself into another jam (if I haven't already), let's end this post. Corsets are good when not laced too tight! Oh, and I'm mixing black and brown accessories and me likey! Take that fashion rules, which are really more like guidelines that tend to boring things up rather than promote good fashion.

Outfit from Thursday, Nov. 16th: long sleeve tee- JC Penny, vest- Mom from 70s, dress- Forever 21, boots- Charlotte Russe, striped scarf- Old Navy, leaves scarf- Thrift Town, tights- Walmart, heart shaped pin- Great Grandma

Question Authority,
Ivy Frozen

No comments: