Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Skinny on Skinnies

Vs.

A lovely commenter wanted to know my opinion on skinnies, given my apparent dislike of them from a comment I made in the post before my last post. That apparent dislike is in fact dislike. And not because of the usual "Oh my God! They're so overdone!" sentiment of many other fashion bloggers (then again, I'm about style, but who really differentiates that in their mind all the time?). No, I oppose them based on how freaken fugly they look on me. Yeah.
I figured my respose to the commenters comment wasn't quite enough, so i decided to expand and illustrate it. This post does echo my sentiments in my reply to the comment for those of you who are lazy like me and don't want to scroll down to the post before the last post and click the comment thing to read it.
So, what's the skinny on skinnies? I don't do them. I have hips and thighs. Chicken legs. Chicken legs and skinny leg jeans don't go together.
Take exhibit left. Those are dark wash, Old Navy straight leg (not even skinny) leg jeans in the right size for me. A size up is too big, a size down too small. Notice how tiny and stubby my legs look compared to the guitarr that makes up the rest of my body, going down to my thighs. Also not that adding the boots over is still not flattering, even if I stuck with black laces in them rather than changing them to white.
Now exhibit right. Much better, much chicer, much happier me. Case closed. No skinnies for me. Skirts rule!
Now, if you want to wear skinnies, be my guest. It's not my place to dictate what you wear. As I mentioned in my reply to the comment, I like them best on skinny girls who lack my thigh meat for that cool rocker chick vibe, though I've seen larger girls rock them too.
The pictures were taken in the Old Navy dressing room. Great clearance going on there and online right now. They have lots of jeans, including bootcut and flares for those of you also opposed to the skinnies, and if you've been coveting their boots, now's the time to act. I personally don't like Old Navy. It's always a trick to find my size, often many sizes bigger or smaller than my usual one. As for the boots, they feel really cheap to me, like plastic, which they probably are made out of. The click they give is unsatisfactory for me, more the tink of plastic hitting the ground than something more solid. If you want boots, I'd head over to Target and get the boots they have on sale right now. They're at about $7.50 at my local store and are in the style of some Lindsay Lohan was spotted wearing, not that I particularly care for Lindsay's style or lack there-of. The boots do get MY SEAL of cuteness though, which I'd rate higher than Lindsay's vote if I were you.
Today's outfit: long sleeve tee and belt- JC Penny, skirt- Sears, tights- Target, boots- Fashionbug, scarf- Walmart, heart pin you can just see under my hand- used to be my Great Grandma's
Chicken Legs,
Ivy Frozen
P.S. I apologize for having to show that picture. I just wanted to make sure we all understood how unflattering the skinny and straight are on me versus something that is flattering. A-line skirts all the way!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for answering my question!

The skirt looks great

Ivy Frozen said...

You're welcome and thanks! ;-)

daddylikeyblog said...

love those boots!

Anonymous said...

Man, that's what I look like in skinny jeans too. I just. Stay. Away. And yes, skirts do rule.

Ivy Frozen said...

Thanks for the love! And Ambika, a kindred spirit. =)