Thursday, November 09, 2006

On to the Movements!



Yes, I live in my own world on this lovely iceberg. And is this world, pretty much anything I say goes. Yeah, that's right. I've mentioned several things that are particular in this world, such as Movements. Discussing them seemed a natural follow up to my last post or two.

Movement the First: Narcissism.

I think I mentioned this in a reply to an anonymous who thought they were clever by pointing out I'm self-centered. (Mini Rant: If you can't tell this blog is about me being self centered by a glance, then you're either a) blind, b)running a little slow that day, c)just slow in general, d) extremely optimistic, or d) all of the above.) If you can't be self-centered in your own blog, where can you be? Next ypu'll tell me I can't bitch to my friends or cook in my own kitchen.

But this is about the Narcissism movement, not harassing people who took the time to comment, which I sincerely do appreciate. Even if it's not all cotton candy and pink bunnies for me. Of course, I do prefer all comments to be positive. (That does not mean it has to be kudos for me. Constructive critisism follows under this vein too. I can take it. I'm on a writing site.) Really only comments like "You/your blog sux!" are not particularly welcome simply because they're so hard to take seriously. Phrases like that just bring images of some angsty fourteen year old, sitting in front of they're computer screen, and apparently taking the time to read a bunch of stuff they don't like and then spending even more time to type out "You suck!" to the person (oh! I'm sorry. "You suk") to the person, then laughing histerically because it's just that funny. Yeah. See my point? Particualrly because said people seem to like to remain anonymous. Forget prank phone calls and doorbell ditch! Leaving hate comments on blogs and personal websites is the new thing!

But I digress again. That really has nothing to do with the commentors here, but rather some comments I've observed on other blogs. But, The Narcissism Movement. Rymezone.com (a writer's best friend!) tells us that nacissism means "an exceptional interest in and admiration for yourself." That is what I strive for and promote. Now, no need to take it to to the levels of Narcissus, our arrogant man of Greek myth fame who drowned himself when he fell in love with his own reflection by curse of Aphrodite, but the Narcissism movement is all about liking yourself, thinking that it's okay to like yourself, it's okay to state that you are beautiful, it's okay to be "imperfect," and existing outside of other's opinions of you. Not a bad thing to promote, yo? It also emphasizing having fun with it, so you don't become intolerably arrogant.

Idols:

Emperor Hotohori of Fushigi Yûgi. I don't think he's actually in the book I linked there, but it's the first one and you should always start at the beginning in a series. Unless you don't want to. Nuriko also has some of that Narcissism Pride going on. I won't ruin the fun and reveal what previous post, er, she relates to. (The main character, Miaka, can be annoying but it's worth checking out both the manga and anime.)

Marquis de Sade. He might have a bad reputation for being oversexed, but really he was doing the same stuff as everyone else. He just didn't feel the need to hide it. He also refused to compromise himself because "everyone else" disapproved. Narcissism idol! And rather entertaining. I recommend reading the timeline biography offered there (such as how he managed to escape being beheaded during the French Recolution) and his letters from prison that are translated on the site I linked for him.

Cher. I'm sure you're all familiar with her, so no link. And, you know you miss her on the red carpet. It's just not the same without her crazy costumes. She gets a lot of smack talked about her, but she doesn't let that deter her from doing what she wants or lower her self esteem. (At least for long.) Lover her or hate her, she's a narcissism movement idol!

Tori Amos. Come on, you knew she was going to make this list. She too does what she wants and has a very loyal fan following because of it. Check out her crazy dance. (Off topic once more, I put a song of hers on my mp3 player, which is not an ipod, and listened to it a few times, thinking it was the recorded version. I happened to glance at my player when it was playing one time and saw that I had accidently put the live version on! Now that's talent that I couldn't tell the difference.)

Most of the ladies on the Women-Worshipped-By-Gay-Men-Part-1 and Women Worshipped By Gay Men, Part 2. I'm sure y'all know who's not. *cough* Anna Nicole Smith. *cough* I'm pretty sure she doesn't understand our movement here.

Got someone who you think I should list as a Narcissism Movement idol, leave a comment with who and why so that they can properly be declared a Narcissism Movement idol (because they'll know and care so much.)

Now,

Mother Theresa

Movement the Second: Naturalism

The Naturalism Movement is all about being natural. It works with the Narcissism Movement, but is not a requirement necessarily of the Narcissism Movement. The Naturalism MOvement is about going natural. Simple. No fuss. Typically kind of peaceful. An acceptance of self as beautiful.

There are several ways to observe, but most importantly is no plastic surgery type of stuff. Also, pounds of make-up don't fly. Likewise for wearing ridiculously impracticle and/or painful items. I observe it by not wearing make-up, shunning plastic surgery for myself, and not dyeing my hair. Shakira observes it with her simpler look and "fresh-faced" make-up. There is no need to go "femi-nazi hippie" to observe the Naturalism Movement. Respecting the environment wouldn't hurt you though.


Saturday's (1st) Outfit: vest- mom from 70s (another of my fav pieces from her), cropped blue hoody- JC Penny, Skirt worn as shirt- Ross, Capris- Ross or Marshalls. (They have flower vines embroidered on them. No skinny jeans for me! I just pull my socks up!), Boots and plaid headband- Charlotte Russe, Scarf- Old Navy
Monday's (2nd)Outfit: dress- mom from 70s, cropped hoody- JC Penny, belt- Thrift Town, skirt- India, cowboy boots- Charlotte Russe

Ever Moving,
Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your so cute!
Do you dislike skinny jeans? How come?

Ivy Frozen said...

Oh, thanks! :D I dislike skinny jeans on me since I have chicken legs and "whoa!" hips so they tend to give me an odd shape that I don't like. They're also tight in a non-pleasant, confining vs. defining/second skin way to me (note, I usually do like tight) and are quite painful to get on. Really. They're like rubbing holey cement against my skin.

Now on others, I really like them on skinny girls for that rock look, though I've seen larger and gals rock them too. (I think it's a more even frame.) I dislike them when they're as unflattering on the wearer as I feel they are to me (naturally), when muffin top is revealed, and when more butt cleavage than a steriotypical plumber's butt is revealed.