Saturday, November 11, 2006

Inspiration 3: Street Style


Inspiration is everywear, you uncreative types. I'm sure you creative types don't need me to tell ya that. Nothing is truly original anymore; humans have been around too long for that, but, that doesn't mean you have to be content to follow the same path as everyone else. (Unless, hey, that's what makes ya happy.) In case you couldn't tell, I prefer to dance to the beat of my own drum, so to speak. Or, forget the drum. I'm a string girl with a thing for the guitar, violin, and cello. Yeah. That's what I dance to. As blog things informs me,




Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.







That's me alright. I start things, you all can finish it. So anywho, both of these outfits were inspired by other members of the Wardrobe Remix group over on Flickr. The one on the left was sparked by .Ariel's use of a long skirt as a dress over a top, and the one on the right was inspired by lebonbonmulticolore's and liebemarlene's use of blocked color and vintage pieces (or in any case, a vintage pancil skirt.). Of course, you know I'm not happy with just blocked color.

Turtle Tee

Wardrobe Remix is probably my favorite Street Style site because it's updated regularly, as people upload their own photos, and is very diverse. You get crazy dresser to sophisticated and can tell these people dress a certain way more than once.

My other favorite street fashion sites can be found on the right there, with all the other links. You'd think I'd link some of the Japanese ones with the REALLY crazy dressers, who put me to shame as I secretly salivate over their gutsy Lolita and, well, no words to describe fashions, but the need to install a language pack to avoid getting computer dribble annoys me, so I leave those meager offerings. Hel-Looks is a particular favorite, although it's not updated as often as The Sartorialist and Facehunter. (Hint: Those are my top three.)

I actually spent some time translating the French comments on one of the Facehunter posts, as it looked like it was getting ugly about the cute Asian-French girl with the awesomest boots. Okay, so actually, I was wondering if any of them knew where those boots had come from, but it was still fun to see how bad online automatic translator thingies are. You practically need a translator for the translator. But on-topic, I like the fun of Facehunter's shots. Also, since his tend to be from parties, you get fun outfits. Fun = Ivy like!

The Sartorialist is another favorite since he posts pictures of dapper gentleman and goes for the more refined aesthetic, while still remaining street-smart about it. Plus, I always enjoy seeing a well dressed man. (My best friend is already picking out the suits her fictional future beau will where.) And double plus, I enjoy learning random things, like the formula for the perfect male suit outfits. Okay, it might not be a formula, but it's still way more constricting than female fashions. I find it interesting how woman seem to have way more freedom in so many areas than men. (Think hippie chic, which is really only attainable by a woman.) It seems guys are forced to keep to certain pre-approved/packaged looks, including the whole anti-sociatal look. But hey, some guys still manage to break these lame sociatal holds, though I'd still say women do it more. Perhaps because there's more of us?

Outfit on Left: Skirt worn as dress- Burlington Coat Factory (had tacky little rocks sewn onto the band so I cut them off)
brown puff sleeve blouse- Kohls (it does a weird riding up thing with the buttons even though it's in no danger of being small on me.)
goldy nude slip (you can see it under the shirt)- Thrift Town
grey tights- JC Penny (they're holding up REALLY well)brown wrap boots- JC Penny
Feather hair clip fascinator- Taissa Lada Designs on Ebay (Really great shop with great prices, pieces, and service. They sent this clip and another free with the fascinator I ordered!)

Outfit on the Right: scarf- Old Navy
blue turtle tee- Sears
rose v neck tunic worn backwards- Kohls
pencil skirt- ARC Thrift Store
Shoes- JC Penny
Belt- Thrift Town

Taking it to the streets,
Ivy Frozen



P.S. Bonus: Why my name is Ivy Frozen.
You Play it Cool

You're not in your face, smokin' hot... and it's all by design
You have a carefully crafted cool persona, leaving everyone wanting to know just a little more.





Well, part of it anyways...

No comments: