Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Movie Style: Dick Tracy

Trainspotting

Dick Tracy. It was a decent movie, but I'm crazy about the costumes.

The colors! That was a clip from a meeting of the bad guys. They may be mean, they may not be the most physically attractive people in the world, but each and every one is impeccably dressed. I need every coat in the movie. Seriously. Look at this old commercial for a McDonalds scratch and win game.

It's proof that the Dick Tracy costumes make everyone look better. Bright coats ad hats rule.

As for the whole film, it kind of came off as sub par despite winning three oscars with five more oscar nominations. It had quite a few of those radom music videos that films that feature music stars tend to have. Despite my love for the woman, I didn't really like Madonna in the film. She's just not a bombshell. She's beautiful, she's sexy, but she's not the boss's gal. I pictured more of a Jessica Rabbit type with some dangerous curves in that role. Plus, the character was kind of random, so it wasn't all Madonna's bad. But I do feel a different actress could have made it work. Al Pacino, playing Big Boi, was wonderful in the movie and his character was similarly a little random. But he made it work.

My favorite character in the movie was The Kid. He was awesome. Impeccably dressed, humorous, and a helpful sidekick. Think suspenders, knickers and newsboy caps all in the same deliciously bold colors seen in the clip above. I'd post some pictures here, but it seems that despite the movies fabulous visuals, which is really it's strongpoint, there arn't too many pictures or even video to be found. But, it appears you can find some of the old Dick Tracy series on youtube.

It's black and white, but the clothes are still luscious. I love every outfit the women in this clip wear.

Trainspotting Joker

As for my outfit, it not as colorful as the ones in the film, but it carries a bit of the same charm to me. I've had this top for a while, bought back during my ruffle obsession of 2005 maybe and have had trouble wearing it. I did wear it more back when I first bought it, but now I just feel it makes my boobs look weird. I decided to try tying that satin ribbon around my neck as a bow, and I like it works wonderfully! And the shorts I just love now that I took out the cuff in them. They suffered a similar fate as the shirt, since I decided I didn't quite like wear they ended on my thighs. When I tried them on in the store, I had the aist pulled lower down than it actually fits on me. The shorts are also the first jean shorts I have ever really like, since mose of the other ones in store have a trailer trash vibe to me: short and messy. The whole nice shorts treand that has taken hold is my favorite! I would wear shorts, miniskirts, and minidresses all the time if I could. Oh wait, I already do...

My outfits: click on the pics for more info.

The detective has missed her train,

Ivy Frozen

P.S. Anyone else excited about the upcoming Beowulf film? I'm a little worried though, with them employing the now standard ancient accent, because apparently long ago the whole world had the same English-speaking accent. It also describes Hrothgar as the corrupt king, and i don't remember that from the book. And with such great lines as, "I'm here to kill your monster," well... It does feature Angelina Jolie though, as the voice of Grendel's mother. I've never disliked Angelina in a film, and Grendel's mother promises to be interesting.

3 comments:

The Happy Hippie said...

Love that outfit!! :] That blouse is lovely and the shoes give it a pretty dash of color. :]

Ivy Frozen said...

thanks ;-)

Robin said...

Dick Tracy was always a movie I felt like I should love. You're the best dressed person on the planet - love your blog.