Monday, August 06, 2007

Burqini


I always find it interesting to learn about other cultures; I really had no idea before spying this article that swimming in public was an issue for muslim women. But now I remember back in highschool, when we had swimming in P.E., some of the girls weren't able to swim because of their religion. How I envied them*...
But now Muslim woman can swim comfortably and protect their modesty with Burqinis. (Burka plus bikini.) Looks like Burqini was developed for Muslim Austrailian lifeguards. Of course, the burgini isn't just for Muslim women, or lifeguards, as mentioned in the article. Many people are hopping on the burqini train to protect against skin cancer, their burns, and their modesty. It's better than a wet suit since it's two pieces and has a looser fit. I really love that luscious green on the one pictured above.

Anywho, I remember when I was child. My parents would always buy me a one piece, which I thank them for, and I had no problem with except for the whole wet suit plus using the restroom issue. I was so happy when tankini's came out, so I could be covered and not have the hassle that a one piece is when you have to use the bathroom. Then, I saw all the other woman having fun and not caring in their bikini's, so I said, why shouldn't I hop aboard and me happy now =) specially when it's really hot out, and I really don't want to wear anything at all. I no longer fault popstars for skimpy outfits on stage because those stages get HOT as evidenced by their near melting sweat. But really, I just feel better in a bikini.

I imagine that's how muslim women feel, perhaps it's their tankini or even bikini. You can swim and be comfortable. A little pricy, but to be able to swim in public? In the heat, I'd gladly hand over the cash, thinking of it as all the money I never spent on swimsuits, to be able to jump in the neighborhood or local high school's pool. Then, I'd plan all sorts of beach outings.

More on the Burqini:

The Sydney Morning Herald

Buy a Burqini from Ahiida


Images: Click the pics for details

Bikini is still my -kini of choice,

Ivy frozen

Hawaiian Safari


*we had swimming, in an outdoor pool, in winter! In the rain! The pool may have been heated, but outside the pool was not.

No comments: