Friday, December 29, 2006

Style Influence and Inspiration Pt. This One

The Sartorialistwanted to know people earliest fashion influence for his contest. I would have posted this over there for the contest, but one of his earlier posts stopped me. He mentioned semi-stealing a signed copy of a magazine because it meant more to him than the person he got it from. (Theoretically...) And the book he had up for prize was a book that I'm sure someone else who actually entered would enjoy more than me. I might like it, but might is the key word. I certaily wouldn't treasure it like a true fan, so instead I bore you all with my answer to the question. Madonna. Lacey, but racy, Madonna. Madonna made fashion fun with her "I'll wear a tutu with combat boots if I want to!" look back in the 80s. I wasn't to crazy about her cone bra looks, but Madonna is constantly roaming style wise and she seems to get into niches like me. But, when hers don't work, she doesn't cry or keep shoving the same thing down our throats. She moves on to something else, and that's why she's still a pop queen, unlike Michael Jackson.

I do like more color and pattern mixing madness than Madonna who plays more with shape, although her latest incarnation loves shiny pastels. But, my more bold looks are firmly rooted in my childhood from seeing the lacy Madonna look with her biting additude. Love the contrast and still do. Sweet and Sour, baby!

And for those skoffing at her latest 70s roller disco meets the 80s workout gear craze, comparing Madonna to your grandma in statements something like, "I wouldn't want my grandma to wear something like that," your grandma don't look like Madonna. Your grandma is also not a rich performer and style icon. So, your comparison is, well, not working. Madonna can wear a leotard if she wants to. Heck, she looks better than me in one.

Madonna, making fashion fun again.

Now, some Madonna time:



A quick run through of Madonna.



A longer run thorugh of Madonna, including photos and clips from her movies and stage performances in addition to her videos.



One of my fav. Madonna songs and videos.



Bedtime Story. Right on trend. Flowers? (S/S) Check. Shiny? Check. Futurific? Check. Check. and Check.



Take a Bow. My other favorite Madonna song. I've always loved it, and love her classy but also real look in this video. Right on trend again. (Christina Aguilera is always channeling in her vids...)

1st outfit (from 12/18)- puff sleeve polo- Ross, cropped hoody and flats- JC Penny, Shorts- Lola/Rave, tights and socks- H&M, brooches- mom's grandma

2nd outfit (from 12/27)- shirt- Mervyns, brown cami (under)- Lola/Rave, belt- thrifted, skirt (rose patterned long prairie skirt taken up and bustled by me and a safety pin)- mom (70s), black thigh highs- Hot Topic, ballet flats- Nu Pair (BOGO-ed with my prom shoes)

Not just like a virgin,
Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

yummy411 said...

Hi! Found you via Daddy Likey. I love the uniqueness! The same reason I visit this site (http://mujeresconestilo.blogspot.com/) just to remind myself that I can dress however I want! But my box of conservative job keeps me in my black and white and occasionally funky shoes.

Ivy Frozen said...

Thanks! ;-D I used to have a conservative job to0, and I hated what I wore to it. Of course, then I'd just dress wild on the weekend... But woo for funky shoes!