Monday, August 20, 2007

Poison Ivy

On her way to a tea with the Garden Club, Poison Ivy hears a strange noise. She goes to investigate and discovers it's a tree.


poison ivy tree

She talks with the tree for a while and discovers the horrors it has been sufferening.


Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy was pissed.


poison ivy crazy


What she did, I'll let you decide. But she was very pleased with the results.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Poison Ivy was my supervillain of choice for Gala's International Dress Up Day (IDUD) #007. I've had a thing for Poison since Uma Thurman's ridiculously over the to portrayal of her in the Batman movie with the breeze. I think that was Batman and Robin. Love her scene with the weird monkee suit-dancers. I also enjoyed her in animated form on Batman, where she hangs out with Harley Quin and is a general bad girl.

I love her so much my name is derived in part from her (Poison Ivy --> Frozen Ivy --> Ivy Frozen) and I relate to her. She became a super villain because some experiments left her with the ability to resist all toxins, but also left her sterile and unable to have children. Since she was a botanist, she then began to think of the plants as her children, and that's why she's so crazy for them. As a female villain, she just can't be evil just because. In fact, she can't be evil. She can be bad though.

As such, I developed my own vision of Poison Ivy. I know she runs around in a green swimsuit/bodysuit in the comics, but she can't wear that all the time? Interesting enough, my childhood vision of Poison put her in a sort '60s time warp where she wore a shift dress made from dirt and wire from which live ivy grew and covered it and big sixties hair with a head band made of ivy. When I investigated her for IDUD, I found that she first appeared in the comics in the mid '60s. My slight psychic powers win again!

I actually developed a characterr off this vision of her, Ivy Vine. Her chracter drew more on the meaning of the ivy plant which is friendship. She mainly played a supportive roles in my fictional land of Nowhere, being the reliable friend in a world populated by really interesting (read slightly crazy/unique thinking) people. Because of this, she is often stuck babysitting Fairy, a siren whose concept of right and wrong is that if someone asks her to help them do anything, she's doing good by helping them. While she doesn't get enough page time to display this really,Ivy does have an aversion to men like her spark of inspiration, and she would probably choose plants over a man.

But anywho, for IDUD, I wanted to show her more ladylike. She may be a vixen to men, but she doesn't seem to have any particular dislike of women. Other then if they jack with her plants. so I did Poison Ivy on her way to the Garden Club. I think she'd adore it. No clear face in any of the pictures, because I wanted it dark and like the dark nature of women. So much imagery of Poison Ivy seems to be that, kind of a mother nature thing.

I suppose I actually did Poison Ivy's alias, Dr. Pamela Isley, but when it gets down to it, they are one and the same.

Pix: Clicky the middle pic for deets.

Poison Ivy,

Ivy Frozen

No comments: