Tuesday, January 30, 2007

DIY: Safety Pin Alterations P2

Spacing Out



Time for another installment of safety pin alterations.

Safety pin alterations is for anyone who is lazy or just in a hurry or unsure if she (or he!) actually wants to fully alter something. All you need is a pack of saftey pins and whatever you're trying to alter. In part one of this series, I discussed how to create a bustle skirt from a circle or A-line skirt. (I forgot to mention it works better with a flowy skirt versus a stiff one, but I'm sure anyone who tried it figured that out and no real harm to try it out real quick.)

In part 2, I shall go over shortening a maxi pencil skirt. This is a real quicky.

1. Put skirt on inside out.
2. Grab bottom of skirt and pull it up to desired length. The fold shall be your hemline.
3. Safety pin in pin in place. (Note: START WITH FRONT or FARTHEST AWAY FROM ZIPPER!)
4. Then pull sides snug in and safety pin. Work your way to the back (or zipper).
5. There will be excess fabric. Leave excess fabric to hang over zipper area and pin to hold.
6. Take skirt off, flip it right side in, and voila! Your new skirt is done.


In the Jungle



It results in a slightly bubbly hemline. (Both skirts are actually about a size or two too big for me. The white one fits better, so I bet the pink one is two sizes too big for me.)

Watch out that you don't safety pin your clothes. Pull the skirt away from you! This is probably good for short term. If you like to keep it permenently like this, you should sew it. I'm obligated to tell you this, even though I'm too lazy to fully sew it myself.

Oh, and those people who say bubble hemlines are no good for pear shaped (i.e. biggest/widest at your bum and hips) girls don't know what they're talking about. Experiment and find what works for you.

Pictures: click them to view them larger and get info. on where I got the something, etc. & I didn't realize I was wearing the same shirt with the two outfits I chose to show. They just show off the skirt the best! Honest...

Safety Pin Queen,
Ivy Frozen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.