Monday, January 01, 2007

Obligatory Happy New Year Post 2007


So this is THE OBLIGATORY Happy New Years post for 2007. So, Happy New Years! and all that jazz... I've never really been big on this holiday. Perhaps because I have yet to reach the optimal age for enjoying it i.e. drinking age.

But, since this isn't my favorite holiday, I shall not stiff you like other blogs. No, this post shall say more than just Happy New Year. It shall talk about wear that screams "Winter!" To me anyways... So without further ado:

I don't understand the whole "no white after labor day deal."

It started with Susie Bubble talking about all the pictures of Japanese girls in white made her think about Spring. Then my mom commented on my white boots when I asked her if she knew why everyone was staring at my feet all day.

"White in winter?" she said. "Doncha know no white after Labor Day?"

What? White not in winter? It makes no sense to me. Winter is black and white and greys to me. In fact, my latest outfits have been pretty much white, black, and grays with a little color thrown in to keep it fun. I also admit to being date-ily challenged in that I thought Labor Day was in May. Or is that Veterans' Day? Too many holidays that I don't particularly care for except for the time they get me off. No disrespect to anyone who celebrates these holidays; I'm just being honest.

Back to my white is winter debate, Snow Queens wear white and creams, not whatever colors anyone who supports such a barbaric custom as no white after Labor Day thinks are winter. Jack Frost is white and blue. Snow is white and snow is winter.

Considering I live in an area of California that does not get snow except for that one year, I don't think my white boots should cause such an uproar. Global warming makes them make even more sense. I could see if I lived somewhere where it was all snowy and/or dirty, but I don't. White is winter.

The offending outfit:

Keep Your Head Down

So, what do you think?

My New Years Outfit: blue cape thingy- mom (70s/80s), white lacy cami- Ross, black pinstripe knickers- Marshalls, white ribbed tights- JC Penny, black round toe pumps with feather & bow & and broach detail- Waltz, silver lightning bolt necklace- LuLu's Fashion Lounge, gold fire/leaves brooch- Great grandma

Happy New Year Y'all,
Ivy Frozen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a non American I definately cannot understand the no white thing ... winter is white - there is even a colour called "winter white"!

oh and I had no idea you weren't drinking age yet ... you look the same age as me (except I probs don't look my age!).

Catherine said...

White is fine as long as there is no rain/snow; I don't know where people get off making color rules. If it works, work it!

Ivy Frozen said...

Whoo! Thanks for the support! Winter whites!

& hannah, wow! You're the same age as my sis. My sister once said I'd fit in with people her age because my maturity level is more on par with them. But, I get alternately thought of as younger and older than I really am. (I don't think anyone has ever guessed me at my correct age...)