Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Silence Must be Heard! DIY

Not simply observed...



Okay, so didja really think I'd be over my Enigma obsession so quickly? Today's post is about playing with volume, as all the magazines suggest doing and talk about designers doing, etc. It's also filled with diy goodness.

So, in the picture, I am wearing a dress I made myself. It's the first item of clothing I've ever made, and I'm lazy. Anyone else get a headache when reading all that "use [insert name of stitch that is explained nowhere how to do] stitch" in those easy diy and beginner guides? Yeah, well I said I'll just work it out as I go. I used diy instructions for a circle skirt (pretty much just cut a circle how big you want the skirt out of fabric), sewed a band at the top, attached straps and some buttons (a few more than planned since it ended up a bit big; I allowed too much extra.) and voile! Unfortunately, the fabric I used ('cause it had plaid and was on clearance!) has a tendency to fray easily, so I also had to hem. (Many fabrics you don't have to.) But, here are some better pics of the dress. I do love the movement... But more fabric than I planned and the back is longer than the fron when I wear it do to tilting. I could always just hem up the back a bit though. But, here are the pictures really:

So, the second diy is a bustle. Once again, this is a bustle for the lazy person. Take a circle skirt pull some of the fabric from the sides back to create a bustle as you like. Then secure with a safety pin and you're done. Temporary but highly effective. Plus, your skirt is now two-in-one. I will say that bustles slim my hims considerably, as you might be able to see in the photo on the very top. Of course, I do tend to wear 3/4th length puff sleeved shirts with them...

Now, I haven't tried this with an A-line skirt, but it should work too. Also, with longer skirts and dresses, you can fold them up a bit to create an apron, then secure in back with pin to create a bustle and have more bounce to it (since there will be more fabric.) Otherwise, you'll end up with a more pencil/tulipy shape for the skirt.


My outfit worn Nov. 27th: puff sleeve blouse- mom (from 70s), plaid jumper/pinafore- made by me, long sleeve tee and boots- JC Penny, belt- Forever 21 (I like wearing it backwards!), tights- Target

Volume, it's good for you
Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

I love the do it yourself bustle!

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely detirmed to learn how to sew, I've been collecting vintage sewing patterns for a while and I really should put them to good use!

Your bustle really suits you and nice to know how easy it is (tho I'm sure it'd still cause me some confusion!).