Friday, December 29, 2006

Nostalgia

I'm alive and back to posting. Lookout for a stream... I started a bunch of posts and just have to finish them at odd hours of the night when I should be sleeping.
Everyone's doing top 10 and top 100 lists for 2006. I don't know why. Really, why 10 or 100? Because they're even? Easy to divide and count by? I don't know about you, but none of that is useful with any of the things I do with those lists. So, I present to you my favorite shopping rules of 2006. The list is as long as favorite shopping rules I have, which may or may not fall into these favorite numbers. Maybe next I'll do my top 6 looks from 2006 and the top 11 items I will not be sad to see go. Why? Because I like 6, but I'm not too keen on 11...

My Fav Rules of 2006:

1. If it's not exactly what you want, don't buy it. If you're like me, the substitute just won't do it for you and you'll still crave the perfect item, which you'll find later and then purchase and promptly shove the substitute into the dark corner of your closet along with all the other substitutes. Substitutes: just don't do them. And remember, good friends don't let good friends take home a substitute.

2. Think about when and where you will wear the item. If you can't think of any outfits made up of items you already own, if you can't think of several outfits, if you can't think of ongoing occassions and it's not for a very special one, then just say "no". It's okay.

3. Buy stuff that fits you now in all ways, not for when your feet spontaneously shrink half an inch or you finally lose those few inches. This also means not to buy that skimpy but oh-so-shiny top for the great nightlife you're planning to adopt. If these things actually do happen, you can always purchase those things. The world is not suddenly going to have a shortage of perfect items for your occasion. I know, it's hard to believe. I still have trouble believing it.

4. Just because it's cheap now, doesn't mean you have to buy it now. Sacrilege! Sacrilege! But true sacrilege. The reason why for this one, is actually reason #5:

5. Think about the clutter. As a messy person, I speak for all messy people who don't have some mold that at one time or other was pizza festering beneath their bed that my clutter annoys me at times too. The mess really comes from my attempting to organize my clutter on the biggest shelf in my house, all visible and within easy reach at once. Yeah, it doesn't work so well. And no, I don't think fondly of the pile of clothes waiting to fall on me when I open my closet or having to dig through it all for "that one top". Do I really want to add said item from #4 (typically multiplied over time) to all that just because it's cheap? Yeah. Not so cheap now, is it.

6. There is no Island of Clothes that No One Wanted. Rest easy knowing the item will go to a good home where it is loved (or tossed in the trash). I just need a moment to form a boring clip show in my mind, complete with cheesy and overly dramtic music of all the items that have been denied me this year via those rules T_T ...
Okay! Done!

Now that I've beat that into me, I'm going to try to limit my spending in 2007. Ultimate goal is $0 on anything I don't need or isn't replacing something worn out and/or broken. Of course, such a leap seems unrealistic for my itchy fingers. I might do alright the first part of the year as Christmas just passed and my birthday is in March, but towards the end, I'll need some retail therapy! So, perhaps I'll take it in month spurts and shoot for half a year. That's until summer. I think I can do that. Maybe... Possibly... I'll demand gift cards, ne?
Featured Outfit (from 12/11): romper dress thing- thrift store, long sleeve tee- Target, tights and belt- JC Penny, boots- Hot Topic, scarf- thrifted
Lock on her wallet est. 2007,
Ivy Frozen
P.S. Okay, so I totally ignored the rules for that that romper in the picture, but my sister bought it for me so it's okay. Plus, I did find a way to wear it...

No comments: