Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Flip Flops

Bubblegum Fairy



Flip Flops, oh, flip flops
I don't understand your appeal
The smack, sucking sound
As you beat me on the heel.

As a shoe, you should
beautify and protect my feet
Instead you make them dirty
as I walk down the street.

As an item of clothing
you should enhance my look
Instead you detract from it,
like a petty crook.

Curse you, oh, flip flops
Cashing in on the heat
A true sandle you are not;
You are full of deceit.


I've never hated flip flops more than I do now.* In highschool, I adored them for a while. Soemthing about freedom, ease, and them being against school rules, but everyone wore them anyways until the school was forced to allow them. But being on a college campus, and seeing them rain or shine. Hearing them all day and then all night. (Dorms suck.) It was so (whiny, vally girl voice here) annoying when one of my professors wore flip flops to class. As she walked about lecturing, the pop-pop was annoying the shiznit out of me. (That's right. I'm wit it.) What annoys me more is when I see a cute dress and then the wearer has to wear flip flops. Ugly flip flops. Ugly rubber flip flops. Just ruins the look.

But, I know I'm in a minority. Nothing beats flip flops in the casual/summer department. Really, you can at least some nice looking slip on sandles. They look so much better! I'm really into anklestraps now. Since I have tiny ankles, I have no worries about them and they are invaluable at securing shoes on my feet. And look how sweet those sandles look with my new dress. "My new" as in "I made it myself" my new. Just imagine if I had worn a pair of these. Yeah, makes me shiver too. If you must buy your shoes from Old Navy, why not buy any of these? Any of those would look adorable with a sweet dress. My favorite gold espadrilles, which I wear all the time, are from Old Navy last year, so I actually think their shoes are quite cute. Aside from the $2/$3/$5 flip flops, which I probably wouldn't even wear on the beach. I sport something more like this on the beach.

Outfit Specs: Click piccy to be taken to flickr page for details. You'll porobably get a better post on this dress once I add pockets.

For Sandles,
Ivy Frozen

* This bout of anger has nothing to do with the fact that my favorite (and only) pair of flip flops now rub irritatingly between my toes and my favorite pair of sandles in a flip flop style now stab me (they draw blood!) in the toes.

2 comments:

SandDancer said...

I agree. People over here in the UK are going mad for the Brazilian flip flops but they are still just plastic shoes.

I like your sandals much more - from what I can make out in the picture they look pretty similar to a pair I have (but mine are in red) - the rubbing stopped after a while and mine are now super-comfortable and every time I wear them someone compliments me on them.

Ivy Frozen said...

Thanks for commenting and glad to know I'm not the only one who dreams of a world where flip flops are burned. What? That's still just me? Curses...