Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I'm Batman!

Yes! This big post on super hero style! The batman dresses are complete!


Joker-san

The Batman has always been my favorite super hero because he's not really a super hero. He has no super powers, other than his keen intellect and powerful drive. Plus, he doesn't whine all the time about how about how hard it is to be loved worldwide, unlike some other superheroes. Despite his lack of superhuman powers, Batman is not only able to keep pace with the Man of Steel and other guys who shoot deathrays from their eyes, but he's at the top of the pack, featured with Wonder Woman and Superman as one of D.C.'s big three. Plus, Batman's costume is just plain cool. See what he's upto now on his D.C. site.

This dress was finished first, although I started the other one first. I might take in the band at the bottom a little bit. I used this as a reference and inspiration, but this dress was still pretty much made the same way as my others: make it up as I go along. I know what I want the dress to look like and use educated guessing to assemble it. The tutorial for that dress was pretty much figure it out for yourself, but it is pretty straightforward to make. I didn't use stretchy fabric, so my version has a zipper. The images on the dress are from Batman: The Animated series, and it features Batman, the Joker, and the Penguin. Picture taken at a MiniCon at my school. That's Asagi from Category Freaks beside me (cosplay).

I'm Batman! Part 2

This is the dress I started first, but finished second since I got frustrated that I sewed the top on upside down, and this had to rip out the seam and start again. I also ended up cutting off part of the top from the original design when I sewed it on upside down. So, I altered the design a bit and came up with it as it is now. I still have a bit of work to do on it when I get home, and hence have a sewing machine. That's right people: all the dresses I've made have been sewn by hand as in no machine. Those of you who sew or have attempted such must truly understand my bitter frustration over the upside down top now. Once again, this dress this dress was made patturnless and made up as I went along. The skirt part utilized variation one of the circle skirt tutorial from What the Craft, which I can't direct link to since it uses frames. I didn't use elastic and therefore ruching was horrible!

The secrets of this dress:

The white panel on the bodice was added because I cut the bodice too tight.

Ruching was horrible because for some reason I always cut the hole for my body too big.

The straps are too big, hence their hanging on the side. I decided to leave them like that because they look better that way than up. Although I might just make tie straps...

I performed my first darts on this dress!

Also note that I'm sporting a batman watch that you probably can't see in both pictures.

I'll probably save the hooded dress for funner occasions, but the grey one I shall wear more often!

Look out for another completed dress soon, and a post displaying my sewed creations! (Really, I forget which dress number I'm on yet... I really need a dress form.) Maybe I'll include why the grey Batman dress needs a bear and crossbones patch on it... Really ambiguous hint.

Specs: you can clicky these photos to be carried to their flickr page, which has the goods

I'm Batman,

Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both dresses look great. Fun prints, love the hood on the first one and the shoulder straps on the 2nd totally look intentional. I can't wait to make my first dress.

Ivy Frozen said...

Thanks! & I look forward to seeing your first dress too! If your other projects are any indication, I'm sure your dress will be great.