Saturday, May 05, 2007

American Doll Posse



Rox! Hard. & yes, this is another Tori Amos Rules! Nerdy, fan-girl post, so consider yourself warned.

I don't understand why some people are insinuating that fans are forcing themselves to like certain albums or songs. What is considered one of her weaker albums, Scarlet's Walk, is the album that first introduced me Tori and made me want to hear more from her. This is music, not math. People's likes and dislikes and appreciations vary. Big Wheel is a catchy tune that wormed itself inside my head and I must confess to rather liking it and thinking that it's the perfect song to start the album. I wouldn't say it's the best song on the album, but the first single and first song rarly are. If they were, it usually means the album stinks.

As for American Doll Posse as a whole, it is a return to hardcore, angry Tori and reminds me of Boys for Pele's and From the Choirgirl Hotel's hard rocking child. Ths album seems to have heard American women's cries and given them new voice. Well, she did say she was sparked by two women who told her to tell it like it is.

My Track Picks:

Big Wheel- catchy, upbeat, interesting and quirky. Sets mood for album
Bouncing off Clouds- on of her pretty songs but with a good beat and somewhat harder sound and fantastic images
You Can Bring Your Dog- dig the tune and randomness of this line.
Body and Soul- awesome lyrics and song!
Velvet Revolution- Hilarious! A little fun ditty, like Hello, Mr. Zebra but with more great and relevant lyrics
Dark Side of the Sun- fantastic lyrics! On war, specifically that of Iraq
Smokey Joe- more of and interesting, quirky song, again with Tori-licious lyrics. Imagine Tori doing a cover of Fergilicious. Yeah, I can't either.
Devils and Gods-great lyrics
Mr. Bad Man-the lyrics coupled with the tune

9 out of 23 is not a bad initial favorites or listening trak for me. Typically, I only like around three songs at first, and those are the singles I heard on the radio to prep me for liking them. Tori's always the exception. When I first listen the majority of songs, I'm like "Wtf is this?" Then, I listen a few more times and I'm like, "Genius! That's wtf it is!"

Reasons I love Tori:

Her voice sounds the same on album and live.
She has taken up the habit of including lyrics.
She packs her albums.
She does what she wants/her own thing.
Her songs don't ever sound all the same.
Neither do her albums.
Songs and lyrics seem made for each other, and can induce chicken or the egg type arguments.
Those Tori-licious lyrics.

BTW, I need that image at the top there poster size and hung in my future living room.

I bought the album yesterday, and it's already effecting me...



Today's outift inspired by Big Wheel. Note that I do adore misinterpreting Miss Tori's lyrics and imposing my own image and story over hers. It's more the sound of the song that gave me the colors, pieces, and pattern.

My Outift Specks: jacket- old so I forget, shirt- mom (70s/80s), shorts- kohls, belt- LuLu's fashion Lounge, tights- also forget, shoes- Old Navy, headband- Ross

The Links: The first link is to Tori Amos's official website. The second links to her myspace where you can listen to some songs, including Big Wheel.

I'm not an M-I-L-F; don't you forget,

Ivy Frozen

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Did I ever tell you how... sexy.. you are?

Ivy Frozen said...

Yes, just not a creepy before.