Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Would you like some racism with your fries?

Hippie Potter



Kind of a heavy subject for me to talk about after coming back from one of my random hiatuses, but I really only say something when I have something to say. Why many people think I'm cold because I really am not the type of person for small talk. But, let's not stray too far from the subject at hand.

So, Facehunter recently posted a post featuring what appears to be an Asian girl in a suspiciously KKK hood. Thus this post is about delving into rascist symbols for fashion. Certainly, Afrobella's recent post on racist videos had nothing to further my musings on this subject.

Now I know, in fashion this stuff is often not intended to be racist. It may be quite the opposite, a statement against racism. Doesn't matter. A message has whatever meaning the receiver of the message takes away. Thus if you say, "Sparkling Wiggles" but everyone hear's something, erm, somthing else, then essentially you did say the something else because that's what we heard, and that's what we're taking away. If you're totally lost on the "sparkling wiggles", check out the Afrobella post. I'd link to the questionable video, but I don't really want to give it more views. Why? Once again, it really doesn't matter that we all think the parents are jerks (or just some of us...) if we give it views. Views are views and views are good. In this case, people aren't united enough for us to bring out the modern version of the torches-- peer pressure and disapproving letters-- for us to get a tearfully fake public apology.

This brings me to the fact that many people find that video funny, and the KKK hood a cool statement, and think that people more of my opinion are overreacting. I do wonder how many of those people have ever been refused service or followed around by security guards, or suffered any of the hundreds of other petty injustices because they didn't look a certain way. And after suffering that, had to listen to people, who look what is apparently the "right" way, pat themselves on the back for totally patronizing or, even worse, insulting you in their misguided attempts at doing the right thing. While I do appreciate the good intentions, I still suffer the damages of these. There's still a huge gap left after the civil rights movements. We've got all these laws, but it never was simply the government that needed to be changed. It's society. Society, that still stamps the token black/ethnic person in every series so it's not racist. A society that needs special race and ethnicity channels, radio stations, publications, movies. A society that is still segregated in many ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about the melting pot idea, where everybody in America tosses aside their races and ethnicities and becomes simply American, 24/7. I'm simply pushing for more interelation. More communication, and less pretending the racist elephant bomb ticking away in the center of the room isn't there.

I'll also say everyone is so concerned about the media and the size zero debate and promoting public health. What about the media and race/ethnicity? For the whole size zero thing, I say it's all those exercise advertisements and slim down tips that get me. I see those, and find myself planning an exercise regimen and a diet in a way those ads with photoshopped models don't. Really, what the models promote is more disatisfaction with other areas of my looks such as skin and hair. I've mentioned before on this blog that I used to do everything I could to straighten my curls away. Why? Because there was never anything for curly girls. It was all about the straight hair. And of course dolls, those things girls look to so much in their childhood, all had hair quite unlike mine, despite my mother's best efforts to secure me only black dolls.

Now, hair tips in those magazines are still overwhelmingly focused for those with more caucasion locks, but there is the whitewashed token tip for girls with curlier hair. I haven't really found any magazines aimed at the teen girl with darker skin, so if ya know any, point me in it's direction. Dolls are as out of touch with this world as ever. (Anyone else wonder how old Barbie's mysterious mother is that she's still popping out kids 40-50 years after Barbie's birth, while Barbie still hasn't found the time to have some of her own between all the job hopping she's been doing-- vet to lawyer to Scarlet O'Hara to teenager-- and dumping over 30 years with Ken for some Austrailian surfer we've never heard from again named Blaine?) I am pleased with all the products especially for curls on the market now, but it's still all about catering the white America. My AP US History textbook had about two sentences on Malcolm X, one of which made sure to point out that he was a pimp and drug dealer. I think Martin Luther King Jr. managed to snag a whole paragraph.

But I think I've basically covered enough on this issue for today. Why not spend a little energy on positive things, such as Shrek the Third, and it actually relates to the rest of the post. It seems Shrek and the fairy tale villains were also victims of a sort of racism and prejudice, and has some good advice for all of us: trust in yourself. While the world may say you're a monster, trust in yourself to know what you are and aren't and be yourself, not society's idea of yourself.

This post's outfit is actually inspired by Shrek the Third's hippie high school teacher Merlin, even though the image on it features Harry Potter, and worn to go see the movie with friends.

Hippie Potter Dress

Another kitchy dress made by me from a thifted pillowcase. I may not like Harry Potter, but enjoy the novelty of the print. Besides, I was originally attracted by the owl which now resides on the back of the dress.

BTW, Shrek the Third was hilarious, perhaps even better than the second Shrek. I do love me some Gingy and Puss though...

Outfit: From Thursday. I'm still lazy so click the images to be magically transported to the image's flickr page, which has more info. Be sure you are not currently bidding for the position of comedic relief sidekick animal and have your rival right beside you to avoid a Freaky Friday-esk switcharoo. Oh, and apologies for the typos as I'm writing a lot quite late.

Peace and Victory,

Ivy Frozen

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Come online! I'm all the way in Alaska and no one is on to talk to me, and I can't stay up late to wait for people cuz I get up so freakin' early to work! I miss you!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

such a cute outfit, I love the sandals.

Ivy Frozen said...

Thanks Jennifer =) I thopught you were my other best at first, since she shares your name.

As for Sabrina, awwwww ;-)

This is no longer my blog. said...

That dress is SO cute- i may just try and recreate it myself (being an actual Harry Potter fan).