Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Golden Flower

The Golden Fire Hydrant
My love of the East is well documented on this blog, and today that extends to the Chinese movie, Curse of the Golden Flower.







Watch it subtitled, not dubbed. The dub is terrible, I tell you. Terrible!

It's a movie about a beautiful and perfect looking family that is really rotton at the core and falling apart. Kinda depressing, but oh so beautiful!



The costumes are magnificent. I do wonder how they keep their breasts from falling out the top of those gowns; guess they top is just really tight and stiff. But Gong Li's (the Queen's) robe in that scene where the oldest son is injured is awesome. And the Phoenix and dragon costumes for the Chrysathemum festival are nothing short of divine. But what really sparked my imagination were the pins the court ladies (and the Queen, of course) wear in their hair.

Where Marie Atoinette got her inspiration?

They're actual sharp pins and remind me of brooches. So I decided to give it a go with wearing brooches in my hair.


The Golden Flower



I think it came out nicely. Since my hair is so curly, I decided to give it a go with my hair down.

Rope Pin

Yup, my hair could hold it. The weight just felt a little weird. It also makes hair sink since it's heavier, but certainly do-able. Plus, it's something my curly hair is good for. This pin would have fallen straight out of anyone with straight-hair's hair.

Now is only I could go around in sumputous robes and wrapped in 40 + lbs or fabric, my life would be complete.

My outfit: Same deal as usual. Click the pic for outfit deets.

Standing next to the golden fire hydrant,

Ivy Frozen

1 comment:

Ivy Frozen said...

I assure you, it's much better subtitled. The original voices sound better, and the translation suits the setting and film much better than the dub.