Saturday, October 20, 2007

NewsReel

Autumn chic

I figured I might start a new feature, the Newsreel that is basically a place for me to share articles and news I found with you dear readers. So, without further ado, the headlines that caught my attention.

Dare to Bare: Are Indian Models Ready?

This article is about Indian models and lingerie campaigns. I found it while looking for something, but the article is interesting and has some lovely pictures. I especially love the one on teh second page. The whole site looks awesome and I saved it to my favorites to explore more another day.


Autumn Chic 3

Prada breaks free of the skinny model mold

I saw this and went to seek more. It seems Prada sent a curvier model down the runway. Unfortunately, a google search turned up little more. This blog post has a little more information. I'd love to see a bigger deal made out of it to encourage designers to start moving back up in model weights.

I was also happy to see this article from the first site I mentioned, saying India is ignoring the whole ideal body shape of disappearing behind poles and embracing a curvier shape. I especially enjoy Dr. Ghei's comment on body types on the second page.



Autumn Chic Take 4

AP: Sexual Misconduct Plagues US Schools

While it's not fashion related, I was greatly disturbed by this article. You'd think schools would take greater care to ensure child molesters weren't teaching our children than they do. I do understand the school's position in this; if it became public that a child was molested by one of the teachers at the school, it would lead to all sorts of other accusations and investigations, and possible punishments. That happened at my high school, and the event was used to fire our principal, who did a good job. (Our principal would fight for what the students want at our school, going against what the district head-person wanted. Also to clarify, or principal was not the child molester.) I was also pretty ticked about how lightly the teachers seemed to treat this. Just saying sorry and people believed they wouldn't do it again. You have to be pretty messed up to molest a child, especially the younger ones. There is no "I won't do it again."

I was also shocked at parents comments. "I thought it was just innocent ducktaping [of students and putting them in a closet]." No. Children are our future! Let's take better care of them. I'm sure the article exaggerates, but abuse of any kind has always struck a cord in me. The Michael Jackson story movie when his dad is going to beat him always freaks me out more than any horror movie. Abuse of any kind freaks me out.

Pix: As always, click for more info.

Reading Headlines for Once,
Ivy Frozen

No comments: