Friday, March 09, 2007

To The Bargain Queen

So, a bit ago, The Bargain Queen posted a series of posts about how the people generally considered fashionable don't follow trends. Certainly, I can't deny that evidence and must add my strong agreement. The only thing I have to complain about is that most of the people she showcased to support her point were boring.

Audrey Hepburn- Lovely woman, but she did play it safe. I've said it before, the the style associated with Audrey is terribly boring. Black, tailored, simple. I recall her in other colors, at least in her movies, but I've never seen anything in color called Audrey-esque. Oh, and total sacrilege but Breakfast at Tiffany's: I don't get it. Weird movie.

Corine Roitfeld- Once again she sticks to black, but she's the most fun icon the Bargain Queen mentioned. For those unfamiliar with her, she's the Anna Wintour of French Vogue. While she does stick with her black, she plays a lot with crazy shapes and textures, many of which would be a little much in say pastel pink. I actually hate her hair though and would really like to see her do something with it. It's just so stringy and limp, and she has such strong bone structure that she seems a little walking skeleton to me at times, especially combine with those fun shapes. Of course, I do have a history of random nightmares about family members turning out to be creepy skeletons and I can't watch Nightmare before Christmas without hurling. Literally. But, she obviously likes her hair like that, so she should keep rocking it. I can't totally despise it since I can't deny that it's very her and skeletons can be cool.

Anna Wintour- Too preppy for me. The Anna bob, the sunglasses, and the neutrals. I really just wish she'd play more with shapes, like the ones she's shoving on the rest of us, but that is not the Anna. Although once again, she does wear some color, but it's not really associated with Anna style.

So, my point? I agree, don't just follow trends. If you like one, and there's bound to be at least one or two possibly more trends that you like each season, then go for it. The most fashionable people don't follow trends; they follow their own likes and it shows. Really. Besides, do we all want to be fashionable or do we wanna look a certain way? By certain way, I mean I don't always dress to look "good;"sometimes I prefer cute, fun, sexy, relaxed, dark, funky, etc sometimes and I'm sure I'm not the only one. In short, be you and trust your own judgement. Mirrors lie, and if you have to ask about it, it's a no.

While I'm on the Bargain Queen, I must disagree with the post about saving shoes by not walking in them. While I'm sure it keeps shoes nice, if I'm buying expensive shoes, they damn well better take my daily beating and keep on eating. Otherwise, what's the point in buying expensive shoes? I can the same thing with cheap shoes and at least then I can justify it. Expensive shoes should be well made and thus able to take a regular beating, be comfortable, and look good. If they don't meat those requirements, I might as well find some nice looking but cheap alternatives.

While it may seem that I'm out to get The Bargain Queen or something, on the contrary I love her blog. Great tips for living low cotst without being associated with trash or being thought stingy. How to keep up with the Jones's for a lot less. Read, read!

My outfit: From way back in late mid February. Click for details if you care, including what song I was listening to. You can set this post (and this whole blog)to Poe's "Walk the Walk"

Walking to the beat of her own drum while staring at the Bargain Queen's,
Ivy Frozen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words about my blog!

I agree that all that good taste can be dull. Diana Vreeland herself said that "too much good taste can be boring" and encouraged people to enjoy their kitsch too.

I just wanted to say re Audrey Hepburn though: her style does look pretty dull and standard by today's standards. It's compared to the other fashions of the 50s and 60s that she's such a stand-out. If you get a chance, take a look at some ads or a costume history textbook that show some of the overblown stuff people wore back then. I'm very glad her look caught on!

(btw, I wish my expensive shoes would take a beating too... but alas, they rarely do! Darn shoes.)

Anonymous said...

PS: The link at the start of your post seems to have gotten broken.

For anyone else who'd like to know what we're talking about, my series is here:

http://www.thebargainqueen.org/2007/02/fashion-icons-dont-follow-fashion/

(Feel free to delete this comment when you have time to fix the link ;)

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm with you on the not-wearing-shoes idea. I tend to base what I wear on my feet (and to some extent, my outfit) on what I know I'm going to do that day. If I'm at my desk with few meetings and fewer errands, heels it is. A nice day where I know I'll go for a walk or have lots to do after work--out come the ballet flats or flat boots. Things come up, of course, but I prefer this method to the dreaded sneakers-with-dressy-outfit look.

Ivy Frozen said...

Bargain Queen, when you put it like that, it does make more sense. If she was keeping the class toegther during a time of random abandon, she was techinically being interesting by being not so interesting. And you must have some good shoes ;-) Oh! & thanks for catching the broken link. Blogger had a lot of fun while I was composing this post.

Ambika, exactly. Although some sneakers look purposly cool with a dressy outfit, typicallyw ith a few other elements to casualize the outfit down though...